When one contemplates divorce, there are certain thing about divorce one should know but will not realize it until it is too late. Divorce preparation is key. To prepare to file, call the attorneys at Lasiter & Jackson to discuss proper preparation and expectations.
1. Identify your joint finances. This will help you determine how much money is coming in versus going out. This divorce preparation will help avoid the stress and worry that the rug will be pulled out from you in divorce. Emergency & Temporary Orders
2. Figure out your actual or anticipated living expenses. This will help determine if spousal maintenance is warranted. This will also help prepare for future survival.
3. Anticipate unexpected costs. In divorce preparation, a great mantra is “hope for the best but prepare for the worst.” Sometimes the worst happens.
4. Chose your attorney wisely. If you have a family friend that does medical malpractice but will help free of charge it may cost you more money in the long run. That lawyer may not know the law and/or community environment surrounding decisions regarding property settlement and spousal maintenance. The Benefits of Hiring a Lawyer
5. The holidays may be harder than you think. Divorce and the holidays can equal severe loneliness and feelings of loss. It is usually a good idea to have plans with yourself or your friends and family.
6. Your kids will tend not to honestly tell you how they feel for hurting your feelings or feeling hurt themselves. Quick tip: their behavior is your best indication if this happens.
7. Emotional recovery may take a while. Don’t beat yourself up.
Divorce can be extremely difficult. The best you can do is have a realistic approach and plan. The lawyers at Lasiter & Jackson, can help you determine what those are. Contact us for a consulation